I've seen some people express concerns about this purchase, though they seem to be mostly focused on some other property Disney picked up in the deal. Apparently there's a movie studio attached to LucasArts? I dunno, it doesn't appear to have been involved with much of anything interesting.
Anyway, back to the important part of the story, there's a lot of potential here that I don't think people are seeing. Here's a short list of awesome things Disney could do with these properties:
- Sell Monkey Island back to Ron Gilbert. He's already asked for it on Twitter, and a few people are kicking around the idea of a Kickstarter to buy the IP and fund a new game.
- Give Monkey Island to the Epic Mickey team. I don't know whether the results would be good, mind you, but they would definitely be interesting.
- Green and Purple Tentacle as recurring guest stars on Phineas and Ferb. I would never stop watching that.
- A new Full Throttle cartoon from the makers of Gravity Falls.
- A Maniac Mansion 3D CGI movie. Preferably Tim Burton directing, but there are other possibilities too.
Seriously, the ideas write themselves! There is no end to the awesome things that Disney could do with this IP they just picked up.
Or hey, I bet you could make a good movie set in the world of TIE Fighter! Just as long as they don't muck it up and add a bunch of Disney-fied crap like space wizards or heroic teddy bears or something.